Goals & Objectives
The goal of the Interdenominational Health Ministry Coalition (IHMC) is to improve the health of the Rochester community through support of health ministries in local churches.
- IHMC is built on the foundation that Health is a Spiritual Matter because of biblical teaching that states:
~Our bodies are temples, purchased by God, and do not belong to us. (I Corinthians 6:19-20)
~We are stewards/managers of God’s” temples and are held accountable to care for them, by taking care of our health. (I Corinthians 4:2 )
~Once we have understanding of the requirement to care for the temple, taking care of our health, we must seek knowledge of how to do so, lest we perish. (Hosea 4:6)
~Once we have been instructed in how to care for our health, we must be doers not just hearers. (James 1:22 )
~To be a hearer and not a doer of what is right, good instruction in caring for one’s health, causes dire consequences to our spiritual, physical, and mental/emotional health. (James 4:17)
- IHMC believes embedding the philosophy of Health is a Spiritual Matter in the church/faith community will help close the gap in health disparities.
- IHMC works to help grow current health ministries and aid in the development of new health ministries.
- Families and individuals are encouraged to take advantage of educational health events, monthly medical minutes, fitness programs and health screenings.
The Interdenominational Health Ministry Coalition empowers and educates local health ministries to serve as key influencers in the community’s health.
- IHMC connects health ministries with local health agencies that offer an abundance of resources to effectively spread the message on the link of health and spirituality to their congregation.
- Health ministry toolkits provide comprehensive materials of important health information, including research, statistics, strategies and training activities.
- Training seminars and conferences on health concerns and mental health issues are available to health ministries.
By linking with other committed partners in the Rochester faith and health communities, IHMC can make a big impact on health disparities in our area.
- IHMC partners with the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, churches, health organizations and other community agencies, making it a true collaboration, across multiple organizations, working together in the best interest of the health of our community.
- IHMC membership is open to all faith-based organizations because the idea of Health is a Spiritual Matter is a philosophy that resonates within all faith communities
- IHMC builds community capacity through the development of culturally relevant programs that can be replicated and sustained.